Welcome to my site! I run an Edinburgh-based professional copy editing service, with an emphasis on humanities and social sciences. I have considerable experience with academic writers, including those with non-native English.
Apart from academic copy editing, which forms the bulk of my work, I have worked on corporate literature for a local design company, website content for a major international publisher, biographical fiction and human rights reports.
I am a professional member of SFEP and observe its code of practice. I participate in local branch meetings when time allows.
Copy editing your documentDo you need help editing a document in order to produce a polished result? Please send a sample and outline your requirements including:
• The purpose of your document
• The intended readership
• Whether more material will be added
Please allow up to 24 hours for a quote, and enough time afterwards, before submitting or presenting your document, to review any amendments. See my rates page for additional information about charges.
Copy editing for publishersOn-screen copy editing offered to publishers on a freelance basis. I will:
• Check the text for clarity and accuracy
• Check that necessary permissions are obtained for illustrations
• Ensure that all information is consistently presented and that
cross-references are correct
• Check that illustrations are accurate and clear and that captions are
consistent; cross-check contents page with headings and illustrations
in the text, and ensure that presentation of contributors' names and
affiliations in multi-author texts is consistent; other checks as required
• Identify anomalies that I cannot resolve and raise them with the
• Track changes if required
• Tag the whole manuscript for typesetting, or apply styles