Welcome to my site! My name is Belinda Cunnison and I run a professional copy editing service, with an emphasis on humanities and social sciences, and have considerable experience with academic writers including those with non-native English.
I can also work on reports and dissertations. I have been a freelance in the publishing industry since the year 2000. My experience is varied. Apart from academic copy editing, which forms the bulk of my work, it includes proofreading corporate literature for a local design company, and work on website content for Bloomsbury. Further back, it includes work on in-house and members' newsletters for Edinburgh’s One World Shop and a local mental health project.
I am available all year.
Copy editing for publishersI can copy edit on screen or hard copy, promptly and to a high standard. As a copy editor I will:
- Check the text for clarity and accuracy
- Check styles and typography against house style
- Check that necessary permissions are obtained for illustrations
- Ensure that all information is consistently presented and that cross-
references are correct
- Check that illustrations are accurate and clear and that captions are
consistent; cross-check contents page with headings and illustrations
in the text, and ensure that presentation of contributors' names and
affiliations in multi-author texts is consistent; other checks as required
- Identify anomalies that I cannot resolve and raise them with the
- Track changes if required
- Tag the whole manuscript for typesetting